Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Flank Steak Fajita Lettuce Wraps

I am such a creature of habit and I seriously have chicken like 5 to 6 days out of the week. I rarely eat red meat, I wouldn't even know how to buy a steak. Tri-tip, ribeye...I have no idea! 

So, when I saw this recipe I really wanted to try it.  Bev Cooks blog has been posting everything I want to eat like right now: shrimp pad thai cups, asian steak salad with bok choy, Vietnamese noodle salad with chicken (I am making this in a couple days), corn muffins with bacon and parmesan (seriously! I am trying to eat better, so I am not sure if I will make this...or I will half the recipe so if I eat all of them it won't be so bad??) 

OK, back to dinner tonight it was really good, but will require some flossing afterwards. That's one thing I hate about steaks...always getting stuck in the teeth.

Flank Steak Fajita Lettuce Wraps
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb flank steak
2 cloves garlic minced
1 inch piece of fresh ginger finely minced
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
2 carrots julienned
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 lime 
2 scallions finely sliced
Hearts of romaine
fresh cilantro for garnish

Cook the steak according to your preference, the original recipe calls for searing it in the pan, I did that this time, but next time I will probably barbecue it then slice it thinly afterwards.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet, toss in the garlic, ginger and scallion, saute for 30 seconds.  Add the red bell pepper and carrots.  Season with a pinch of salt and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, but don't let the vegetables lose their "bite".  Remove from the heat while you make the sauce.

In a small bowl combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Squeeze in the lime and add the brown sugar to taste. Whisk to combine.

Add the steak to the vegetables and pour the sauce over everything. Toss to coat.

Serve in the romaine heart like a "boat". Garnish with any remaining lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment