Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls

I.heart.peanut.butter!
I'm talking peanut butter M&M's, peanut butter snickers, peanut butter twix, peanut butter and banana (my fave post workout snack), peanut butter and apples, peanut butter on a spoon...I could very easily go Dr. Seuss on y'all and say I can eat it on a train, in a plane...anywhere LOL. And it's safe to say when the peanut butter is combined with chocolate it does something magical.
When I saw this recipe on How Sweet It Is blog, I had to try it.  The recipe is actually for a donut pan, but I don't have on, so I used my cake pop pan...so technically this recipe could be called "donut holes" but I just decided to call them cake balls.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Balls

 1/2 cup oat flour
1/2  cup almond flour
2T coconut flour (I didn't have coconut flour, so I just added more oat flour)
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter melted
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2T unsweetened applesauce (I didn't have any on hand, so i just put an apple in the blender...it worked)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2t vanilla
1/2t salt
1t baking powder
1/8t cinnamon
1/3 cup peanut butter chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour your pan.
In a medium sized bowl mix together the oat flour, almond flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
In a small bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and applesauce.
Whisk in melted peanut butter
Stir wet into dry until combined. Do not overstir. It will look slightly lumpy.
Stir in peanut butter chips if you are using them
With a spoon, spatula, or piping bag, transfer the batter to your pan.
Bake for 16-20 minutes.
Test with a toothpick for doneness.
Let them cool before frosting.

I left a little room at the top for my first batch and they didn't completely fill up the sphere.
So on my second batch I completely filled them to the brim and it turned out much better.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2T peanut butter

Melt the chocolate and peanut butter in a double boiler until thoroughly melted.
If using a microwave stir after every 20 seconds until melted.
Dip the donut holes and sprinkle if you desire :)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment