Monday, May 14, 2012

Levain Bakery Copycat Cookies




















If you only eat one chocolate chip cookie for the rest of your life, this HAS to be it!

A few years back I was watching Bobby Flay's Throwdown (yes I love him, and yes in my spare time I watch the Food Network) well, he was featuring Levain Bakery and I have been hooked ever since. I have been to New York twice since then and have to make that stop every time I go! Sadly, they do not have their recipes available, but through much time browsing through several recipes I think I found the one!













Without further delay, here is how you make these amazing creatures!

8 oz COLD (that is the key) butter cut into small cubes
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 oz chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (optional...sometimes I use them and sometimes I dont)

If you are going to use the dough right away preheat the oven to 365.  I recommend to refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, you can refrigerate overnight too. Although, with all of that goodness in a bowl waiting to become these beasts of a cookie, it won't be easy.
In a mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated, and brown sugar until just combined.  With each step remember to not overmix.  Add the egg and vanilla to the butter/sugar mixture and beat, set aside.  In a smaller bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture a little bit at a time to the wet ingredients until just blended. It may be a thick, almost crumbly batter, it is ok. When everything is well incorporated you can stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Divide the batter into 12 4oz balls.  Do not press them flat. If you do not have a food scale, think about making them into GIANT golf balls. After I form the cookie balls I will put them back into the bowl and into the fridge for a couple of hours.
When you are ready to bake them, preheat the oven to 365 and place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet, I used a silpat. If your batter makes more than 12 cookie balls just put the bowl back in the fridge until you put in the second batch. Bake for 18-22 minutes, check on them and when they start to get golden brown take them out. You may not think they are done in the middle, but just let them sit for a few minutes and you will be in heaven!!


No comments:

Post a Comment