Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Black Bean, Corn and Shrimp Salad Ceviche and Homemade Tortilla Chips



It's been a while since I have posted, so I will just post everything all at once. This recipe is AHHH-Mazing! I found it in All You Magazine and they just listed it as a salad, but after I tried it, it could totally be a ceviche-type appetizer served with chips! YUMMM and you can totally add or subtract anything and it will still taste fantastic.

2 ears of corn shucked
1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 or 2 avocados pitted and diced
1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
2 green onions sliced 
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. lime juice (I used a little more, just taste it first and add little by little)
3/4 lb. cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp chopped
salt and pepper to taste
 *I also thought adding cucumbers might be awesome*

Cut kernels off ears of corn into a large bowl.  Add beans avocado, tomatoes, scallions, cumin, olive oil, lime juice and shrimp and toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper. 




At this point, the salad is made so you can eat it however you want. I put it inside a romaine heart and ate it like a "salad boat" lol. 
You can also make your own tortilla chips, which I loved and are sooooo much more healthy for you, I didn't miss any flavor.

Homeade Tortilla Chips
Corn tortillas cut into quarters

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread tortilla wedges on an ungreased baking sheet, make sure it is just one layer, no overlapping, so you may have to do a few batches. You can do a quick spray of Pam, but you don't have to.
Bake about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment