Friday, June 15, 2012

Raw Taco Salad

Ok, so let's start this off by saying I am not vegan, vegetarian, or a raw foodie, however I love incorporating these new (to me) and unique ways of cooking. I just love food, so anytime I get the opportunity to try something new I'm all over it!

This is a raw dish, thanks to Oh She Glows website. I follow her blog and I have tried several of her recipes. I have been going back to this recipe several times ever since she posted it on Tuesday and finally decided to make it. 


What you will need:


1/2 walnuts soaked for 2-8 hours (I had them soaked for about 10 while I was at work and they were just fine.
1 cup of cashews soaked for 2-8 hours (same thing as above)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin 
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 cup to 1 cup of water (for desired consistency)
2-3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Any lettuce you prefer (I used romaine)
Any veggies you want to put on a taco salad (I used tomato, green onion, corn and avocado) Black beans would be good, I didn't have any :(
Tortilla chips

First things first is to make the walnut taco meat.  Rinse and drain the soaked walnuts and put in a food processor with the chili powder, cumin and salt. Pulse a few times to combine the ingredients, but be sure to keep the walnuts chunky.
See it even looks like taco meat huh?


Next, make the cashew cream sauce. Rinse and drain the soaked cashews and put them in the food processor, start the food processor and pour in the water and lemon juice while it's still going, you want to achieve a smooth consistency, like salad dressing, not grainy. 


Last, all you have to do is assemble your salad and I topped mine off with tortilla chips for a yummy crunch.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment